Alexandria Wamhoff – Appointed Coroner January 1, 2024
The Bureau County Coroner’s office investigates all deaths that occur in Bureau County regardless of the deceased’s residency. Families and friends of the deceased depend on all law enforcement agencies involved in a death to answer as many of their questions as possible.
The coroner’s responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Investigation into the cause and manner of death of anyone not attended to by a licensed physician.
- Make death notification to Next of Kin.
- Determination of the manner and cause of death and to decide if an inquest into the death is necessary.
- Preparation and proceedings at all inquests within the County.
- Determination of an autopsy need if circumstances in a death are suspicious, obscure or mysterious.
- Approval of death certificates and cremation permits.
- Maintenance of all death records for those who die in Bureau County under the coroner’s jurisdiction.
- Help with coordinating and facilitating tissue donation.